English County Challenge


My passion for exploring England has grown over the past few years, prompted by something I challenged myself to after first moving to Leeds - The idea of visiting all of England's 48 counties. The challenge has been something that I have loved doing, from spending time researching and planning each little trip to actually visiting each new place! Part of what made it a challenge for me is that I don't drive so each place either needed to be easily accessible by public transport or planned with friends and family who could drive and were happy to indulge in some (very) random day trips... When I started the challenge I had already unknowingly visited quite a few different counties from staycations over the years, moving to university, and then of course moving up North. Part of what I love about living in Leeds city center is its access to public transport routes which helped show me that you really can explore a lot of England, even without a car! It's so easy to take a train to so many different cities and national parks in the surrounding areas and you can't beat a day exploring somewhere new.  This post is going to be dedicated to my favourite 10 counties, although it's taken me a long time to actually decide on what should go where! Interestingly, some of the counties I wouldn't necessarily 'recommend' for a touristy day out so won't be featured here are still some of my favourite memories - That's part of this challenge that I've really enjoyed. Sometimes the important thing to remember is anywhere is fun with the right people and I think with the right mind frame (and a lot of googling) you can find hidden gems in each place, from simply trying lovely independent coffee shops to seeing iconic historic points or amazing feats of nature. It seems extra fitting to have finally completed the challenge with a visit to Worcester in October 2020, a year in which travel both in England and even more so, abroad, has been very hard to accomplish. 

10 Rutland
A very small, hidden gem! I wasn't sure what to expect when I first started looking into visiting Rutland Waters, but it really was a beautiful place to go! We were unlucky with the weather (typical England) but still, managed to make the most of it and fit in a couple of walks. The Lake is much bigger than I anticipated and is full of wildlife, most notably its resident Ospreys which are hard to see normally in England. 



9 Wiltshire
Wiltshire is somewhere I would love to explore more of, as what I've seen so far I've loved. Stonehenge is probably the most well-known tourist attraction in the county and is really interesting to see in real life. Salisbury was a beautiful city that I wish I had been able to explore more of, so although it's ticked off my list I would like to go back again soon!



8 Cambridgeshire
I ended up visiting Cambridge quite a lot as my brother lived there whilst at Uni. It's a pretty easy train journey from Leeds with only one change and there are plenty of things to keep you busy while you're there so it's definitely a worthwhile place to go for a day trip! The Cambridge beer festival they do yearly is a good event to plan a weekend around, but it's also a city full of historic buildings that you could easily spend a day wandering around and admiring. Ely cathedral is also a stunning place to visit within Cambridgeshire to spend an afternoon.



Cumbria
An obvious choice, but still a well-deserved one! This was one of the first counties I made a beeline for after moving up North, as it suddenly felt very accessible compared to how far away it felt whilst I was still in Essex. I have stayed in both Windermere and Ambleside, with Ambleside winning my heart! It's a great base for some stunning walks and has a good share of pubs and cafes in the area so you can refuel after a long day of walking. 



6 London
Of course, Central London has to be on the list somewhere. It really is full of amazing things to see and do, and you could go back so many times and see something completely different. I know for many it's a love-it-or-loath-it kind of place and I can see why. It is constantly busy, and it can be easy to get lost, but if you know what you're there to see and plan ahead, it really is worth the visit. 




5 North Yorkshire
North Yorkshire encompasses some amazing places that feel worlds apart, which is partly why I love this county. You have the Yorkshire Dales on one side, the amazing city of York in the middle, and the seaside town of Whitby on the other side, with a lot of interesting places in between! I have spent a lot of time visiting the Yorkshire Dales as it's so close and accessible from Leeds. Some of the things I would recommend doing in the Dales include the Three Peaks walk, the Ingleton Falls walk, and the White Scar Cave. Settle is a great place town to visit and Ribblesdale and Malham are also beautiful areas and amazing for walks. 




4 Hampshire
Hampshire has to be high up in the rankings because of the New Forest, a place I visit yearly with my family. It's a beautiful national park with beautiful heathland and forests perfect for walks and outdoor activities. There are lots of nice market towns in the vicinity and plenty of good places for tea and cake, which of course is a priority. Not only that but in Hampshire, you can also visit some nearby larger cities like Portsmouth, Southampton, and Winchester which are all places you can do in a day - I personally would recommend Winchester as the cathedral is beautiful and well worth a visit. 



3 Northumberland
I hadn't really heard anything about Northumberland before starting to research each county and I was shocked to see that the county includes what David Attenborough has dubbed his favourite place to see wildlife in the UK - The Farne Islands. I mean, I didn't need any more persuading than that, and, desperate to see a Puffin in real life, Arron and I booked a one-night stay in a place called Seahouses. It was a bit of a trek to get there by train (and bus) and the Seahouses itself won't blow you away, it is the best base to stay in for the boat trips to the Farne Islands. Of course, if you can drive, you could stay further away so wouldn't have to stay right on the doorstep - Bambourgh close by looks beautiful, and I'm sure there are many more places nearby that would be worth a look. The actual boat trip around the Farne Islands blew me away - I'd never seen wildlife on such a scale before and we were even able to walk across one of the islands (on a very specific route) where you could see Puffins returning from sea with what they have caught which was magical. We also saw seals and added a visit in November to my to-do list as that's when the seals have their pups! 



2 Bristol
I had heard some good things about Bristol before going there so I was excited to finally visit, although it did take me a while to organise it as it's a pretty long (and expensive) train journey from Leeds. However, it was totally worth it as it blew me away when I arrived. It delivered all my favourite things like good food, amazing street art, and delicious and strong cider... I mean, what more could you want! Bristol felt like a very happening city with lots of creative outlets, whilst my friend and I were there we attended a glass bauble blowing workshop and also an icecream making workshop both of which were really fun. 



1 West Yorkshire
This is probably cheating a bit, but it seems fitting to place the county that I live in currently at number 1! It probably helps that it's the county I know the most, but I think that just highlights my point that there are hidden gems everywhere you just need to spend time looking for them. Leeds is a beautiful city with beautiful historic buildings and loads of brilliant independent shops and cafes/restaurants. Looking further afield, there are so many beautiful day trips that you can do, from Ilkley and exploring the moors to Otley Chevin and its beautiful woods. There are some great wildlife reserves too, but the winner for me is the Leeds-Liverpool canal where you can frequently see amazing wildlife including kingfishers and the resident swans, that have definitely got me through lockdown this year! 



Comments

Popular Posts